Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Trial run gearbox & tools


Things have been quiet in the EV front but now we are making progress. Just got notification that the motor has arrived in Oz, I've paid for it and am waiting for customs then delivery. I've also ordered a bit of gear while I was at it; 12V vacuum pump, contactors, crimpers.

The other day we installed the gearbox and driveshaft to check for fit, I had to source a mounting bracket for the gearbox. It's the little bits and pieces that are going to cost abit as they add up, normally you would have all those parts but I got a rolling shell with some stuff missing ... so I'm finding out.

One of the really great things in doing a conversion is the tools that you get to use and buy if you don't have them! I have a lot of tools but I need them for work so I've had to buy more in for the home workshop. I'm keeping an A4 book to log all the tools bought and conversion parts sourced so at the end I can say "we'll ... that was the most expensive conversion ever". Anyway, tools are not a waste as I use them and if Damo gets an apprenticeship then no doubt there will be a spot of pillaging going on. Check out the new hoist I got from Supercheap Auto, it's a 1250kg job and since it was the last one I got it for $190 which I think is good as I saw a 1000kg model the same at a reputable tool shop for over $300 ... about time I got a deal.

No comments: