Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rear Battery Box

The traction battery pack for the X7 will be LFE 160Ah at 144 volts made in China by Thundersky. As I will be going for 144V and each battery is 3.2V then I will have 45 batteries. Now I cannot fit them all in one place so I will split the pack into three. One of 27 batteries in the rear and two of 9 batteries in the front either side of the motor. To reduce weight I've had the rear battery box made of aluminium so to ensure that my batteries will be safe I've had the box made by local industries and not try to do this myself (that would be a very bad thing).

Not knowing who to see as I am relatively new to Brisbane I looked in the yellow pages and approached Alfab for the job but they said that they do mainly boat windscreens and windows but they could do the welding and suggested Lewden Sheetmetal to cut and fold the box.
So I saw Tony at Lewden Sheetmetal and he said he could do it by cutting the sides but folding the box along the long edges to maintain strength. Which he did very well even keeping to a tight set of diamensions.

Then it was back to Alfab where I spoke to Clyde where the welding was done. I don't know the name of the guy who did the welding but he did a nice job. I decided to put in gussets at the corners which will increase torsional strength, you can see these in the top photo. Eventually I'll have a lid made of plexiglass so the batteries can be shown and carpet over top of the plexiglass for normal commute.

As you can see in this photo the box will have plenty of clearance. You can just see where the body is cut away for an exhaust.

I've promised both Tony and Clyde that when the project is finished I would bring the X7 over to show them. Thanks for your good work guys.

1 comment:

Hazel Donovan said...

I’m in love with this website. I have visited this site so frequently.I discovered this website on the internet. I have gotten a good stuff of information. Many thanks. keep updating me.
car removal brisbane
scrap car removal caboolture
car removal brisbane
cash for cars caboolture
caboolture scrap car
caboolture cash for car
cash for car caboolture