Saturday, February 6, 2010

12V battery shelf & video part 3

  I've now mounted the front battery box. I used the existing radiator mounts at the front and have drilled through the chassis rails aft of the box to put mounting bolts.  However, for the chassis bolts I've put a pipe sleeve over the bolt so when I tighten it up the nuts it will not crush the chassis rail.

 This I couldn't show in the video hence the photo to the left.

  
I've also mounted the 12 volt battery shelf using one from another car and welding more mounts to suit.  I was going to hang it from an aluminium shelf over the top of the motor to hold the controller etc but thought that a heavy lead acid battery swinging off an aluminium plate wouldn't do too well as it would warp or buckle.
  
So, I'm using the bolt I put through the chassis rail for the traction battery box mount andI have purchased a  longer bolt (grade 8.8 of course) to replace one that was for the steering assembly (photo left) and used for the 12 volt battery shelf.



As you can see I've used the traction battery box mounts as well.  With the shelf firmly mounted I'm also using a dropper strap that will go up to the aluminium plate above the motor but I'll have a reinforcement rail to assist with weight distribution.


2 comments:

William said...

Nice. I really like your car. I'm debating using an rx-7 as well. How many batteries and types are you going to use?

Brett Bishop said...

45 batteries should give 144 volts. LIPOs