Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Trial run - motor in

Okay, so we put the motor -adapterplate-gearbox in the X7, coupled up the driveshaft to the diff. We will now take measurements for the motor mounting bracket in the front.

However, we got to thinking ... should we connect up a 12v battery and see if the rear wheel turns? It became a family event, I think it was in 4th gear and away she went! The rear left wheel turned (quickly!!!) and yes we got very, very excited!

Looking at the photos there seems like a lot of room but being a sporty sort of car the area is quite narrow height wise. I feel that we'll have a bit of fun later when we try to get the extra batteries in the front. I know that the batts height is ok but there are the batt monitors that attach to the top of them that increase their height.

Another thing, the engine hoist is the bloody bees knees, makes it soooo much easier to drop the motor/gearbox in.

We are coming up to Xmas and New Year so we'll put the project aside and make room for family time but come end of January we'll be back in to it again.

I'd like to thank everybody for the comments they have been leaving. I'm not up to protocol and if I'm supposed to reply in the comments section please tell me as I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to computer savvy. The comments have actually helped in encouraging the project. Thanks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so exciting! I wish I could see it in person! Looking forward to more progress :D

jackey said...

Great post. People out there who are looking for car recyclers can contact GDM Wrecking. GDM wrecking actively buys all types of cars and offer used car parts for all models such as Mitsubishi, Nissan, Holden, Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Hyundai etc.
mitsubishi car wreckers